The Preschool Program for Children with Disabilities (PPCD) is designed to provide technical assistance and training to regional educators, parents, and early childhood caregivers in order to serve identified students with disabilities, ages 3-5 (birth - 5 years for students with visual and/or hearing impairments). Interagency coordination occurs with ECI programs, Headstart programs, and childcare providers to help facilitate transition from home and/or center-based programs to school.
PPCD services provided include, but are not limited to:
* professional developments
* on-site consultation visits
* customized trainings
* program updates and compliance with state/ federal regulations
* best practices in instructional and behavioral strategies
* assistance in evaluating PPCD classroom environments
If your child is in an ECI program, your service provider will let the school district know that your preschooler may be eligible for public school services. This is the first step in the “referral process,” and it must begin 90 days prior to your child’s third birthday. If your 3- to 5-year old did not participate in ECI, but you suspect him or her of needing special education services, you – or any person involved in the care or education of your child – may make a referral.
Child Find is a free referral and information service. The purpose is to locate, identify and evaluate children from birth to 21 years of age with disabilities and their possible need for special education and related services. Children learn at different rates but some children have significant difficulty in one or more of the following areas: social interaction, play, speech and language, vision, hearing, attention, behavior, or coordinating movements.
Concerned that your child may be learning, playing or interacting differently from others? Call the special education department of your local education agency or Pam Desparrois (contact information listed below).
* Child Find in the Legal Framework (legal requirements):
* Navigate Life Texas, PPCD page: https://www.navigatelifetexas.org/en/education-schools/what-is-ppcd
Upcoming Trainings: Go to our EVENTS page and select your choices!
State Performance Plan (SPP) Indicator 7 reports the percent of preschool children with Individualized Education Programs (IEPs) who demonstrate improved:
* Positive social-emotional skills (including social relationships)
* Acquisition and use of knowledge and skills (including early language/communication and early literacy); and
* Use of appropriate behaviors to meet their needs
* COSF Decision Making Tree
State Performance Plan (SPP) Indicator 11 measures the percentage of students who were evaluated within the state established timeline after receiving informed, written parental consent to evaluate.
State Performance Plan (SPP) Indicator 12 measures the percentage of students referred by Part C - Early Childhood Intervention (ECI) prior to age 3 who are found eligible for Part B - District Special Education Services and who have an Individualized Education Programs (IEP) developed and implemented by their third birthday.
* PPCD Service Location Code Decision Tree