TWU Speech Language Pathology Master's Degree Program
Speech Language Pathology (SLP) Services
- This program is solely designed for students who commit to working in the schools of Texas following TWU graduation. Candidates who do not wish to work in Texas schools are not eligible for admission to this program.
- Individuals who do not have a bachelor’s degree in the speech or communication field are required to take “leveling” course work, either through TWU or through an ASHA-approved university.
- TWU offers a Bilingual certification in addition to the SLP master’s degree. The purpose is to better serve children receiving speech therapy services in a language other than English.
Program Requirements - Complete a total of 61 semester credit hours over seven semesters broken down into:
- 41 credit hours of required coursework
- Two credit hours of electives
- 18 credit hours of clinic (practicum) over six of the seven total semesters
- Other requirements:
- If you are an out-of-field student, you may be required to take an additional clinic semester;
- You must secure and maintain sponsorship from an approved Texas educational entity throughout the program;
- Before degree completion and graduation, you must pass a comprehensive exam;
- After graduation, you will be eligible to be licensed and certified to work in any setting. However, as a distance student, you must commit to working as an SLP in the schools for a period of time after graduation.
- Leveling program applications are accepted each year between Aug. 15 and Oct. 1 for classes beginning the following spring semester.
- Completing leveling course work does not guarantee admission into the master’s degree program.
- The pre-master’s SLP leveling program contains seven three-credit hour courses (total of 21 credit hours).
- Universities that offer leveling courses online can be found at https://www.asha.org/edfind/results.aspx?po=true
The Cycle 10 graduate program began in May 2019 and runs through 2021.
Contingent upon the Texas Education Agency's approval. Information meetings will be posted when TWU sets the webinar dates. Interested applicants must attend one of the informational meetings as part of the Cycle 12 graduate program application.
- TWU Master of Science in Speech-Pathology (includes degree plan, etc.)
- TWU Distance Education SLP Degree & Admission Details
- TWU Pre-Leveling Program Information
- TWU Certificate in Bilingual Speech-Language Pathology
- American Speech Language Hearing Association http://www.asha.org/careers/
- TWU SLP Student Outcome Data https://twu.edu/communication-sciences-oral-health/communication-sciences-coms/coms-programs/ms-in-speech-language-pathology/slp-student-outcome-data/
- Texas Department SLP Assistant Licensing Requirements https://www.tdlr.texas.gov/slpa/slpa.htm